Frequently Asked Questions


Does my child need to complete the high school requirements before they begin their college courses? 

No, however, your child needs to score college-ready on one or both Accuplacer tests (Math and Writing) and pass certain high school classes before they can take the college level classes. Students earn high school credits simultaneous to their college credits and many of these go towards high school graduation requirements as well. 

Does my student have to finish an Associate degree before graduating?  

No, they can also complete a certificate program through one of our partners, such as ACC. We are also now offering a few Career and Technical Education Pathways on our campuses that can lead to certifications, providing a jump-start to a career or an impressive accolade on a resume. ACC offers a broad range of options from computer networking, nursing, medical technology, business, and more! 

Can my student switch a class or teachers if the class is too challenging or if the teacher is not a good fit? 

While students can drop or add classes within the first two weeks of a semester, we encourage students to utilize their grit and communication skills to solve problems before reverting to a schedule change. Schedule changes can be disruptive to both students and teachers. It is ideal if students approach their teachers to resolve issues and academic struggles. We also offer a range of academic and social/emotional support to students. Please do not hesitate to ask for help! 

Can my child be part-time and graduate? 

It is a CEC Network policy that seniors must be full time to graduate at CEC Inverness. However, students may choose to graduate from a home school program while taking classes part-time at CEC Inverness. 

Can my child take a different foreign language besides Spanish? 

We are working on expanding our foreign language options on-campus in the coming years. Until then, if a student wants to take a foreign language other than Spanish, they need to test college ready on the Accuplacer and then enroll in an ACC language course off-campus (it must be one that we do not offer on campus). The student must take through level II of a college language course to fulfill their level two language requirement for graduation.  


What are the technology requirements for classes at CEC Inverness? And, what are the cell phone rules? 

There are no technology requirements. We will provide any technology that students will need in class, including laptops. If students want to bring their own laptops this may be useful as they can bring them to the Academic Success Center and to the cafeteria to work outside of class. Students may also check out Chromebooks from the IT desk.  

CEC Inverness has no official cell phone policy. Each teacher sets their own classroom policy. Please encourage students to use their phone responsibly and respectfully according to their teachers’ policies. 

Can my child take an online class and transfer it into CEC? 

Unfortunately, if the student is full-time, they can only earn credits through our institution(s). However, if a student is part-time, they can take online courses and/or home school courses.  

Do you offer credit recovery? 

As of now, we do not have a credit recovery program. Instead, we have an accelerated curriculum, which allows students to progress more quickly through their requirements. If a student fails a class, they can retake it the next semester and replace the failing grade with a passing one (with the completion of a Grade Replacement Form). 


What are the addresses of all the CEC Douglas County campuses? 

Parker Campus: 10235 Parkglenn Way, Parker, CO

Inverness Campus: 321 Inverness Way South, Englewood, CO

Castle Rock Campus: 3565 Celestial Ave, Castle Rock, CO

College Direct Satellite Office: 9137 S. Ridgeline Blvd., Suite 280, Highlands Ranch, CO


Will there be transportation to all campuses? 

There will be bus transportation for each campus. 

When does enrollment open? 

Enrollment opens November 1. If you completed an intent-to-enroll form, you will be given a chance to start the enrollment process a few weeks earlier. 

How do I sign up for a Shadow Day? 

Shadow day appointments will open and be emailed to those on the intent-to-enroll list for the following school year. 

Do you accept mid-year enrollments? 


Am I confirmed for a certain campus if I filled out the intent to enroll? 

The intent to enroll allows you to have early access to enrollment. It is not a confirmation of enrollment. 

When do I find out if my child is accepted to CEC? 

You will receive an acceptance letter from CEC once your student is accepted. This is typically within 7-10 days after you complete the Initial Application. You must still complete the online enrollment to have your enrollment confirmed.  

Where does my student go to take classes at through the College Direct program? 

College Direct is a program where students go directly to a college campus to take classes. The Highlands Ranch office is a meeting place for CEC staff and students to conduct advising. It is not a high school campus. For more information about the College Direct option click here.

Is there a test my student must take to be accepted? 

The Accuplacer test is required of all students coming into CEC as a placement test. It is not a pass/fail test. The Accuplacer is used to identify students’ strengths and weaknesses in each subject area and identify what skills they still need before taking college courses. 

I already have a student at CEC Douglas County. Does my new student have to go on the waitlist?   

No. Siblings of current CEC Douglas County students will get priority enrollment if their initial application was completed by 11/01/2019.   

What documents do I need for registration?  

Please complete the initial application for admissions first and then we will advise you of what is needed to complete enrollment. Click here for more information.



Can a high school degree be completed without taking any college classes?

CECI is an Early College which means all students will complete college or career/technical courses prior to graduation. See your advisor to discuss your student’s goals.

What extracurricular activities or sports does CECI offer?

At CECI, free college for our families is our first priority. Instead of spending money on athletic fields or programs, we direct our money toward funding college classes for our students. Students may participate in sports at their neighborhood schools. We will, however, have a variety of academic clubs and organizations.  

Can I still play sports if I come to CECI?

Yes! You can play sports at another school, but you need to be sure you are meeting the requirements to play sports (GPA, number of classes, etc.).

My student was placed in a math class they have already taken. Why?

Advisors create initial schedules based on test scores. We will never place your student in a math class below what they have already taken, but if their test scores indicate they need additional instruction in a class they have already taken, your student will most likely be placed in that class again. Remember, our math classes are one semester long only, so this will not set your student back an entire year.

My student tested college ready. Should they immediately start taking college classes their first year?

While it is awesome to see incoming students test college ready, we do not recommend starting immediately in college classes. We recommend students take at least one semester to build critical thinking skills, among other skills, before diving into college classes.

What resources are available for students struggling in class?

Students’ grades and attendance are closely monitored by teachers, advisors, and the Academic Success Center (ASC). Measures are taken within the school to notify students and parents when a meeting with an ASC instructor or tutoring for a specific class is deemed necessary. All high school math classes have a built-in assistance program called Math Rx. This program is implemented at the beginning of every semester and is used to identify math topics students might need extra help with. Students attend MathRx sessions through the ASC. Advisors also reach out to students when instructors or parents have concerns. Our school offers professional tutoring in Math, English, and Science, including the college-level courses, as well as peer tutoring. Assistance is also available for students who struggle in writing research papers, citation formatting, or just need someone to proof-read a paper.

What support services are provided for my child who may have a 504, IEP, or mental health needs?

We have an amazing support team for students who need individual resources such as learning accommodations, mental health services, or medical needs. Our school psychologist is available to anyone who needs counseling. Our nurse provides individual care for students with long-term or temporary health needs. The entire Exceptional Student Services Unit (ESSU) will assist with any existing or newly diagnosed exceptional learning accommodations.

When do I need to schedule my advising appointment and how do I sign up for an advising session?

Advising season occurs twice per year.  The first round of advising for returning students begins in October and the second round in February. When the advising calendar is open, it will be announced in the weekly newsletter.  You may use the link provided in the newsletter to schedule an appointment with your advisor.  It is also possible to schedule advising sessions via the CECI website by clicking on the “Advising” tab.  Please remember that parents or guardians are required to attend advising sessions along with students.

How much money do students receive with the tuition voucher?

Full-time students grades 9-12 receive $1900 each semester and seniors receive $2100 to use towards college classes. Part-time students receive $950 each semester. Any unused money will roll over from fall to spring and spring to summer. At the end of the summer, any unused voucher money goes away and a new allotment will begin in the fall with the start of a new school year.

How much does each class cost (High School/College)?

On-campus high school classes cost about $317 per class, and on-campus college courses through ACC cost about $150 per credit hour. Costs for other colleges/universities will be determined by those institutions. A worksheet will be provided by your advisor to determine costs.

What happens if my student drops a college class?

If your student drops a college class within the add/drop deadline, he/she will not face any financial consequences, but he/she may have to add another course to remain full/part time.

What happens if my student fails or withdraws from a college class?

Unlike dropping a class, failing or withdrawing from a class does carry financial consequences. Any college class failed or withdrawn from will require the student and/or parent to pay for that class out of pocket. A “W” or an “F” will also be on their college transcript.

When can I take off-campus courses at ACC?

Typically, courses at ACC can only be taken when you finish your core high school requirements at CECI. Exceptions will be made for students who are taking higher level math courses or science courses than CECI offers.

Where is the ACC main campus located? Do all off-campus students have to attend classes there?

ACC’s main campus is in Littleton, Colorado, just off Santa Fe. While students do not have to attend school there, it is necessary for students pursuing an AS to take certain science and/or math courses at one of ACC campuses in Littleton, Parker, or Castle Rock. CECI does partner with other community colleges. See your advisor for more information.

I have an issue with my “myACC” account. What do I do about that?

Because we are not employees of ACC, we do not have access to your account beyond what you are able to show us. Any questions regarding issues/concerns with ACC will need to be directed to ACC.

How do we get textbooks for classes that we are taking off campus at ACC?

First, check with CECI to see if we have a copy of the textbook here. If we do not, you must first try to rent the textbook. If you cannot rent the book, you will need to buy it. Both the rental and the purchase will be reimbursed/bought from you by CECI at the end of the semester. Please refer to the Textbook Policy and Procedures handout found here on our website for more detailed information.

What is the benefit of an associate degree? Isn't it better to point toward a bachelor's degree?

The benefit of an associate degree varies. Within the state of Colorado, it means you already have two years of college done/a degree in hand. Outside of Colorado or at private institutions, it shows that you are willing to work hard to achieve your goals, which could give you a leg up on other students applying to the same institution.

Does an associate degree help students get admitted to a four year college?

College Admissions committees look favorably upon students who prove they are academically committed enough to complete an associate degree. These students are seen as low-risk options since they have proven they can be successful in college-level courses prior to attending a four-year university.

Will students apply to four-year colleges as transfer students?

No. Even though students have taken college courses and/or earned an associate degree, they will still apply as first-year freshmen because they have not yet earned a high school diploma. However, if a student decides to take even one credit hour of a college class after graduating from CECI, he/she will be considered a transfer student.

Is it better for students to pursue a general associate degree or a more specialized associate degree?

For students who do not know what specific major they would like to pursue at a 4-year institution, a general associate degree is the best choice. If students are certain of college/career pursuits, an associate degree with a pathway, which has a narrower focus, could be recommended.

Does CECI award/confer the associate degree?

No. Associate degrees are awarded/conferred by the institution the student has taken his/her community college courses through. In addition to discussion with a CECI advisor, students should meet with a community college advisor to ensure all requirements are met.

Will the GT (guaranteed transfer) courses be accepted by schools outside of Colorado?

GT courses are only guaranteed in Colorado. For questions about how your courses will transfer out of state, it is best to contact an advisor at your school of choice.

Can a student earn a bachelor's degree at CECI?

Although it is possible for a student to take classes at a 4-year partner institution, it is unlikely that students currently enrolled at CECI will earn their bachelor’s degree prior to their high school diploma.

My student wants to stay at CECI for a fifth year. Can he/she?

In order to stay a fifth year at CECI, students must be A) under 21 and B) have under 60 college credits going into their fifth year.

Will my child be able to graduate early?

Early graduation is not allowed at CECI. The only exception to this would be if a student has completed all high school requirements and exceeded 60 college credits or completed an associate degree.

Student Accountability/ Culture

Does CECI offer sports?

No, but we highly encourage sports and extracurricular activities. Sports and other activities can take place through your neighborhood school. In other words, area high schools allow our students to play sports through them- much like if your student was homeschooled. We follow CHSAA guidelines and work with area high schools to provide updated grade and attendance reports for our student athletes.

Is CECI an Open Campus?

We have a Modified Open Campus Policy. To be eligible to leave our campus, students first must be 16 years of age. Secondly, a signed waiver from the students’ parents or guardians must be submitted. And lastly, the Open Campus privileges can be revoked due to poor grades or behavior.

Does CECI have a Dress Code?

Yes. The CECI Dress Code Policy can be found on our website here.

Does CECI have student clubs?

Yes. CECI encourages student-initiated clubs and supports their efforts. Student-led clubs will be forming as we get further into the school year.

Where can I find information and forms about CECI’s Attendance Policy and the CECI Student Handbook?

Most forms and policies can be found on the school website under the Parent & Student tab in the Campus Culture & Safety section. Forms can be downloaded.

How can I report an incident of bullying or a safety concern?

Please call or email our Dean of Students. Or, you can make an anonymous Safe2Tell report and the concern will be followed-up immediately by school officials and/ or with area law enforcement. More info about Safe2Tell can be found here.


Exceptional Student Services Unit (ESSU)


Do you serve students with IEPs/504s? 


Of course we do! As a public charter school, we will meet state and federal guidelines of students on IEPs/504s as well as follow every law applicable to ChildFind and eligibility.  

How do instructors implement accommodations? 


All instructors follow the guidelines set forth by their individualized plan. Each student's accommodations are uploaded to their individualized profile in our student information system. Instructors consult regularly with ESSU to ensure fidelity in the implementation of accommodations and to ensure best practices. 


Who's responsible......for IEP/504/ALP/ELL/Health/College Board? 


Our ESSU team is responsible for ensuring compliance of all individualized needs and will follow all applicable laws to apply for appropriate and relevant accommodations for state and national testing. 


How will the services be provided? 


We have the highest quality ESSU services. We provide services as developed in each student's individualized plan and according to each student's need. This includes academic assistance, mental health support, speech and language services, nursing support, testing accommodations and any other associated services. Due to our current size, most of our services are provided on an individualized manner.  


Pull Out vs Push In 


We offer a variety of push-in and pull-out services in the classroom. We offer these services as they are most appropriate for student need. 


College classes vs. High school classes 


Accommodations are available in both high school and college classes. We help simplify the process in applying for accommodations at our sibling institutions and help explain the differences between IEPs, 504s and collegiate plans. We also help educate and empower students to advocate for their needs and accommodations no matter what their next step. 


Who do we talk to if their classes are off campus? 


We will help you navigate these conversations with off-campus student service centers, and help you prepare your paperwork for any place you go next. We have direct relationships with our sibling institutions and have a common consent to make the process more concise. 


Immunization questions? 


As a public school, we must follow all applicable state education law for immunizations. Students must have records of the right immunizations, at the right time, in the right sequence or have a medical or religious exemption. In addition, we need the right paperwork or we will have to legally exclude your student from attending classes until the requirements are completed.